50 Die in Lagos Pipeline Explosion

At least, 50 people were roasted alive yesterday at Adagbo village of Iru, Victoria Island local government Area of Lagos State.

The victims were said to be scooping fuel from a vandalised pipeline when the fire started at the scene and was followed by an explosion.

LEADERSHIP could not immediately establish the cause of the fire, but it is believed to have resulted from a scramble by men, women and children who were fetching fuel from the vandalised pipeline.

An official of the Nigeria Red Cross told our reporter at the scene of the explosion that over 45 people have been removed from the scene, but that the figures were still being compiled.

The incident is coming exactly one year after an explosion and blaze at a vandalised oil pipeline in Abule-Egba area killed 200 people and left dozens with various degrees of injuries.

More than 2,000 people have died in series of similar tragedies in the last few years mainly in the volatile Niger Delta region.

Meanwhile, the occupants of No. 77, Aroloya Street in Lagos Island celebrated Christmas in sadness following the collapse of their building as a result of a fire outbreak. LEADERSHIP checks revealed that the fire started at about 3pm on Monday from the first floor of the three-storey building which is used as a residence leading to final collapse of the building yesterday.

Despite the efforts of neighbours and men of the fire services to put out the fire, the building still collapsed.

As at press time last night, the number of casualties had not been ascertained and no one had been reported dead.

It would be recalled that the case of storey building collapse has been taking its tool on Lagosians in recent times, with several casualties.

Help keep Oyibos OnLine independent. If you value our services any contribution towards our costs will be greatly appreciated.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.